How to apply
Information on our recruitment process.
Applying for a position
Applying to work at Riverina Water is a simple process:
- review the position description to make sure you meet the selection criteria
- complete the online application form — including contact details, relevant experience and qualifications.
- Before submitting your application, make sure you have:
- provided your current resume and covering letter
- addressed all of the selection criteria
- checked your contact details are up to date.
You will be notified by email to confirm we have received your application. Please check your emails frequently throughout the process as you may receive email communications from us.
If your details change, you will need to contact us to notify of any changes you feel relevant to your application.
Applications will not be accepted after the closing date.
If you have technical difficulties submitting your application, contact our Human Resources Officer on 02 6922 0606 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What is required to complete my application?
Your application should include:
- A completed Application Form;
- A Resume containing a brief summary of your education, qualifications, work experience and two (2) work-related referees;
- A statement addressing the Selection Criteria (if required).
This can and should be submitted online. You must complete this form and attach other relevant documents that support your application.
This is a brief summary of your details including:
- Personal details: name, address, contact telephone numbers;
- Educational Background: list details from most recent to past – include your school, tertiary and any training courses or other qualifications;
- Work History: list details from most recent to past. State the employer’s name and how long you were there. State your position and the key duties involved in the role;
- Additional Information: eg: First Aid certificates, Driver's Licences, Operators Tickets etc;
- Referees: you are required to provide the name and contact telephone numbers of two (2) work related referees who can provide objective and honest feedback about your work experience and performance, and where possible, how it relates to the selection criteria Preferably these referees will be your current or most recent supervisor.
It is recommended that you address all selection criteria separately. Your demonstration of your ability to meet the selection criteria is the most important part of your application.
The Selection Panel will use all the information provided in your application but will concentrate on how well you have demonstrated your ability to meet the selection criteria through an analysis of your qualifications, skills, abilities, experience and knowledge.
Each criterion is based on the required qualifications, skills and knowledge necessary to carry out the principal responsibilities of the role.
Consider the level of the position coupled with the skills and competencies within the Position Description and answer appropriately. For instance, if applying for an officer level position it is not necessary to refer to management level experience.
Depending on the nature of the role, if you do not meet an essential selection criterion to satisfy a legal, registration or accreditation purpose or to satisfy a requirement of a professional body, you may be excluded from further consideration for the position.
Wording used in the selection criteria describes the necessary level of knowledge or skill/ability to do the job. For example: -
- Demonstrated means that you have actually performed the activity or used the skill in the past, rather than just the potential to do
- Knowledge of, or the ability to rapidly acquire the knowledge of means that you already have the required knowledge, or you can provide examples of past situations which have required a rapid acquisition of knowledge
- Thorough, sound or high level indicates that a more advanced level of knowledge or skill may be required
- Read each of the selection criteria carefully and make sure you specifically address each criterion by outlining how your qualifications, skills, abilities, experience and knowledge meet the requirements of the position. Provide supporting documentation, preferably by examples of your personal experience that supports your statement.
- You may like to take into account:
- What was your previous role?
- What did you do and how did you do it?
- What did you achieve?
- What was the end result/outcome?
- Use actual examples of what you have done that are relevant to each selection criteria. Include how well you did it, what you achieved and how it relates to the requirements of the role. When considering the length of your statement addressing the selection criteria, remember it is quality not quantity that counts. Responses are generally no longer than one page per criterion.
- The statement should consist of each of the selection criteria as a heading and your written response underneath.
Riverina Water suggests applicants use the STAR method when addressing the criteria as follows:
Situation: Explain the situation (set the context for your example)
Task: Explain what your role was
Action: Explain what you did and how did you do it
Result: Advise the outcome from your actions. What did you achieve?
Our recruitment process
Riverina Water is an equal opportunity employer and applies merit-based selection techniques that appear to best fulfil the skill, capacity and capability requirements for the position along with alignment to organisational values.
We embrace diversity and encourage applications from all people. We are committed to making reasonable changes to provide an equal recruitment process.
This information details our recruitment process and will help you prepare your application. Selection is based on each applicant in relation to the criteria provided for the advertised position.
In the selection process we gather information and assess how well your experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, qualifications and training meet each of the selection criteria. All applicants will be notified whether they are successful or unsuccessful for an interview or offer of employment.
If you are a successful candidate, you will be invited to attend an interview. You will be contacted by phone to confirm relevant details and sent an SMS. The interview assists us and you to determine if you are the right fit for the role. You will be asked to provide examples of how you meet the criteria, citing specific experiences and situations.
You will be required to provide at least 2 reference checks. It is preferred that at least 1 of these is your current manager or supervisor. A number of other reference checks may be required and will depend on the position.
You may be required to undergo further testing or provide additional information depending on the role applied for. This would be specific to the role they are designed to help us assess your suitability for the role.
You will need to pass a pre-employment medical to ensure you are able to perform the role you are applying for. You will receive a phone call from our provider booking you in for this medical.
We will notify the successful applicant first as soon as possible after the selection decision is confirmed. All other interviewed applicants will be notified of the selection decision.
We have limited casual employment at Riverina Water. However, we do accept casual applications, which we will keep on file for six months. If we are searching for casual staff, we will review any applications that are currently on file and may advertise or engage a job placement agency. The best way to provide your interest is to send a cover letter and resume which outlines your experience and type of work you are interested in to email@example.com
We do not keep on record applications that are not directed towards a current vacancy or not seeking casual employment. Positions are advertised on our website and through appropriate channels relevant to the vacancy.
If you would like to let us know about your agency and the services you can offer, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your details and we will contact you when required.
Please note, we will not accept resumes from an agency unless the agency has been engaged beforehand for a specific vacancy and an appropriate agreement is in place.