- Evaporative coolers require water to be bled off to waste so salts do not accumulate in the cooler. Excessive bleed is a waste. Consult the cooler's instruction manual for further details.
Washing the Car
- Use a bucket and sponge to wash the car, and if possible wash it on the lawn. Use the hose only for rinsing and turn it off between rinses
Gardens and Lawns
- A timer on your garden tap can prevent wastage and save you money.
- There is a PERMANENT BAN on the use of sprays and sprinklers between 10am and 5pm
- A longer lush lawn develops a deeper root system and requires less water to look great.
- Mulching not only helps to control weeds, it also prevents soil drying out! When planting your garden try grouping your plants into high or low water users.
Inside your home
- Check toilets for leaks by putting food colouring in the cistern. If the colour is detected in the bowl, there is a leak which needs to be fixed.
- Install 3-4 Star WELS rated dual-flush cisterns with an average flush of 3.5L
- Keep showers to approx 4 minutes by using a timer
- Install a 3 Star WELS rated showerhead
- Only run the dishwasher when there is a full load.
- Wipe waste off plates before washing
- Run the washing machine with full loads and if replacing the machine, purchase a higher star rating model.
- Ensure taps are turned off properly to stop drips
- Repair/replace parts of taps are leaking
- Collect cold water while waiting for the hot, to put on plants.
- To check for any hidden leaks, turn ALL taps off on the property. If the water meter is still running there is a leak, which may need the services of a plumber.