Southern Riverina County Council was incorporated in 1938 to make reticulated water available to towns and villages in the Shires of Lockhart, Kyeamba, Mitchell and part of Culcairn Shire.
The remaining part of Culcairn Shire and the Shires of Urana and Holbrook was subsequently added, as was the Municipality of Wagga Wagga in 1945. In 1981 Kyeamba and Mitchell Shire areas were included in Wagga Wagga City area.
Water Supply infrastructure was established with the Murrumbidgee River at Wagga Wagga the principle water source, and a network of treatment, pumping, storage and pipework installations.
Augmentation has continued, to take in all towns and villages and several rural areas, and there are currently some 25,793 customer connections within the 15,500 sq km served. Wagga Wagga urban area contains 20,800 of these customers. The location and development of groundwater sources has been utilised over the last thirty years, and bore water now supplies three quarters of our production.
From 1942 to 1995 Southern Riverina was also responsible for distribution of electricity in the area. The formation of the large electricity distributor, Great Southern Energy in 1995 precipitated a review of water supply administration, resulting in the decision to form a new County Council for water supply in the former Southern Riverina Area, to operate from July 1997. "Riverina Water County Council" was gazetted on 2 May 1997 and formally operated from 1st July 1997.
Drinking quality water is supplied to all customers continuing a tradition of almost sixty years of high service standards by a leading and innovative utility service organisation.